One of my favourites materials this season has to be vinyl. Most people think of black vinyl records when they hear vinyl – but it’s so more (click here to listen to the voice I want you to hear in your head when I say that). I have never owned anything vinyl in my life until this season, and so far I have accumulated several vinyl skirts, pants, jackets and hopefully more! Traditionally when I think of vinyl, I think of Mardi Gras, dominatrix outfits… you get the idea. (Whatever floats your boat, I ain’t judging!) Most people will be too scared to give it a go in public. But I’m here to give you some tips of how you could wear it and not look like you just came out from a sex dungeon!
Here are my tips!
- Make vinyl the hero of your outfit: Keep it simple, Don’t go overboard with double vinyl, ruffles, colours. Here I wanted the skirt to be my hero so I kept my top very casual. With a little bit of details on the arms and that’s it.
- Pick your colours: I also own a red vinyl jacket and a skirt. I find red to be the hardest to wear. So for your first piece, just go for black and once you are feeling more confident about wearing it then feel free to experiment into other colours. I still remember when I pulled out my red (very shiny) vinyl jacket when I was in Paris with my girlfriend and she couldn’t stop laughing. Basically she refused to walk out of the house with me. (Think Thriller….) hahahaha but I loved it so much that I wore it anyways when I got back to London!
- Pick where you wear this to: Always dress appropriately. Not everyone will appreciate this look. It’s probably not one for a job interview. But perfect for brunch with your friends, going out to dinners. (Also it can be squeaky… hahahaha)
- Sizing: This could make or break you. You basically can’t hide anything in Vinyl. It’s not a very forgiving material. Make sure it’s not too small or too big. I got a pair of vinyl pants when I was in Stockholm and the 8 was such a good tight fit and 10 was kinda loose and relaxed. I opted for the size 10. I wanted to go for the more relaxed look and not skin tight.
- Be confident and mix it up! Confidence is key in pulling any outfit. You don’t want to be fidgeting or feeling uncomfortable. So wear it with confidence! Fashion is suppose to be fun! So just have fun with it!
Good luck and I would love to know what you think about vinyl? Yay or nay?