As part of my work with Citizen watches, I was asked to offer some insights into times in my life when I feel it is the ‘Time to Be Myself.’ The work that I do with the Miss Gunner brand is highly visual, a lot of it is about seeking trends and capturing moments and sharing ideas about what outfits work, where one might go to relax and enjoy a good holiday, or finding new places to celebrate life with food and friends. Beneath all of that is a story about me that I thought I might use this opportunity to share.
My parents sent me to boarding school when I was eight years old, which involved a dramatic transition – I was sent from Bangkok, Thailand to Sydney, Australia. I couldn’t speak English properly and all of a sudden I was thrown into the deep end, and I had to grow up very quickly. Now when I look back, I was so little when I left home. I know the reasons why my parents did it were sound – so that I would get a great education, but it was difficult. I had this huge long Thai name that no one could ever pronounce, so none of the teachers could even call my name properly. I would sit there in class listening to lessons in English, while inside my head I interpreted everything in Thai. I was forced to learn and to fit in, I guess from a young age I was totally driven to get to a point in my life where I could have more control over how I expressed myself, and be understood in a way that made me comfortable.
Through the years, I’ve gone through different stages of my life and I’ve learned that gaining self-respect and a high level of comfort with who I am is what is required to really begin to shine from within – I accept who I am, and I do love being in my own skin. At times in my life when I’m not feeling comfortable or confident for some reason, I just force myself to remember where I came from, what I’ve achieved and what my dreams for the future are and that helps me remain conscious of my own story – it helps me to love who I am, and be confident about the difference that my story can make in the world. I’m far from perfect, and the visual insights on Instagram represent only one side of my life, and it can cause a lot of anxiety if you start comparing yourself to others and forget about how special your own story is.
Citizen has been a brand that I’ve known all my life. When I think of Citizen, I think of my Dad owning one when I was young; but working with them and understanding their meticulous Japanese approach to introducing a new line of ladies watches has been amazing to witness. To me, I’ve always related the Citizen brand to men’s watches, and not so much ladies watches. After meeting the Citizen team, I’ve come to learn that the Citizen L range has been meticulously crafted and put together to project a really beautiful femininity. I’ve picked out three of my favourite styles for this campaign.
- Citizen L Ambiluna Limited Edition: Absolute Light I have so much admiration for the Japanese culture and this watch is every bit Japanese – Moon-glazed sapphire crystal and a Nishijin textile band woven with kimono-weaving techniques, which radiate a soft glow. I love that it comes with a matching clutch and a watch bracelet. Such a different way of presenting and wearing a watch!
- Citizen L Ambiluna: Wearable Light This watch is so beautiful and would go with every outfit. The contrast between the glittering bracelet and the soft translucence of the moonlight sapphire glass makes this watch.
- Citizen L Oasis Inspired Design Limited Edition This watch has five large diamonds like water droplets that together
form a radiant layer of light. One of the most beautiful watches and definitely my go-to every watch.
These three watches use Citizen’s unique technology called Eco Drive to power the watches. That means you will never have to change their batteries, ever again. The watch basically converts light into energy, it then recharges it energy cells continuously.
So the ‘Time To Be Myself’ is always – that’s the only way I can comfortably and honestly connect with people, and that is the true reward for sharing all of these visual stories each day.
Sharing with you some of my looks below.
1. Citizen L Ambiluna Limited Edition: Absolutely Light.
2. Citizen L Ambiluna: Wearable Light
3. Citizen L Oasis Inspired Design. Limited Edition
* Sponsored article disclaimer: Although this article is sponsored, all opinions are my own. Ash x